October 17, 2019
1. Silicone Baking Mats are a must! Made from durable, food-grade silicone that can be reused over and over, these flexible baking mats feature a nonstick surface that allows for effortless food removal. No extra greasing needed. When finished, cleanup is a breeze. Simply wash the mats by hand with soap and water and allow to air dry, or place in the dishwasher (top rack only).
2. Silicone Pastry Strips allow you to create the perfect thickness for cut out cookies. Just place the pastry strips on either side of your dough to act as guides when rolling out your dough. They are super easy to clean as well. Just wash the strips by hand with soap and water. They are also dishwasher-safe (top rack only). These strips come in three thicknesses. The red is 2mm, white is 3.5mm, and blue is 6mm. I recommend using the 3.5mm (white) when making sugar cookies!
3. AirBake Nonstick Cookie Sheets are my favorite! Easy cleaning, and even baking! I love that they do no have sides on them so that I can actually roll my dough out right on the cookie sheet (covered with a silicone baking mat first!).
4. My go-to rolling pin is the Wilton Fondant Roller. This one comes with guides, but I prefer to use my silicone pastry strips! This BPA free roller is larger than most rolling pins, and even though it's sold as a rolling pin for fondant, it works fabulously for cookie dough!
5. There is no comparison, Americolor Food Coloring is the best! It offers superior coloring strength over any other food coloring out there. You'll get consistent color batch after batch, and even when using a lot, such as when making red or black icing, you won't get any funny aftertaste. Certified Kosher, and FDA approved.
6. Icing bags are definitely an option, but I much prefer using bottles when decorating cookies. Sweet Creations Decorating Kit and Sugarbelle Bottles are two of my very favorites!
7. Wilton icing tips work fine and are less expensive, but I love the PME tips, and use them almost exclusively! Round tips come in all sizes from 00 up to 12 (and larger), but the two sizes I recommend are PME Size 2 Tips and PME Size 3 Tips. PME tips are a bit more expensive, but are stainless steel and will not rust if they accidentally get left soaking in water overnight...yes, I know this from experience ;)
8. Scribe Tools work great for making designs on your cookies, popping bubbles in your icing, cleaning out stopped up tips and cleaning off edges that may have some overflow. Of course, toothpicks work too and are actually what I used to use, but I would go through a dozen or more at a time so these just make sense to me!
9. There are many different brands of Meringue Powder available, but of all the ones I have tried, the Wilton brand is my favorite. It tastes good and mixes well. It is Certified Kosher and made in the USA.
10. If you do not want to take the time to make your royal icing from scratch, CK Royal Icing Mix is a great alternative! Simply add water and flavoring to the mix and you're good to go! I also love that it is available in red and black which are colors that are sometimes hard to get as "deep" as you'd like. It is also available in green and white (for creating your own colors). It is also Certified Kosher and made in the USA.
If you have any questions about the above products, please feel free to reach out through here or our Facebook Page! We offer Sugar Cookie Decorating Classes several times a month in the store, and you can find out more info about those HERE!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
March 19, 2020